Saturday, February 5, 2011

Creating Cross Overs

One of my goals has been to expand my designs to other categories.  This shows how my Dandelion art looks on a card, a print and fabric.  My illustrations have always been first printed on cards.  I create my pencil design, scan it into my Mac and redraw everything in layers and choose color palettes.  I experiment with layout, cropping, colors and then put it into my card format for A2 envelope size. I print them out and get the colors I like before committing them to a printer for the card line.

Then I take the design and create an 8x 10" giclee print on fine art paper.  I love the rich flat ink produced by the professional printer and how it almost resembles a silk screen.  They have a richness that regular digital printers on regular stock can't compete with.  Sometimes the colors do change a little between the two different printers but not a lot.

The next step has been to take the image, create a pattern and submit a digital file of it to Spoonflower for fabric. I'm still learning how big to make the repeat, seeing how colors print differently and on the different fabrics from cotton to linen to upholstery fabric. Can't you picture dandelion deck pillows made from this fabric?

I haven't made a dandelion design rug yet but that would be the next cross over.  It would make a fun summer rug, don't you think?  It's great fun to be a 'surface designer' as the business calls it when you create designs for different products from the same base art.

4 comments:

  1. I love this design. So beautiful! I often wondered how you produced your designs. Thanks for sharing. They are all so very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Do you have a link where we can purchase the fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! The fabric is for sale thru my Spoonflower site. You can purchase it in a variety of fabrics or just buy a swatch. Here's the address:
    http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/427315
    Email me if you have any questions. cindy.liindgren@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete