Friday, June 10, 2011

Louie Louie Louie Wow Wee

Alan Friedman, Great Arrow Graphics & me
The Louie Awards are like the Oscars for the card industry.  The best cards in each category are announced and awards are presented at a gala during the National Stationery Show in May each year. The Surtex Show where I was exhibiting runs at the same time at the Javits Center in New York City.  Imagine my surprise when the staff from Great Arrow Graphics stopped over to say my firefly card I illustrated for them was nominated for a Louie Award in the Anniversary category. I rushed to the display and stood there grinning. My friend Rich Sherman of J.Ames Greetings was nominated as Rising Star.

Alan Friedman, president of Great Arrow came back the next day to say it won.  I told him it was a dream come true for me.  Great Arrow is a special card company because all their cards are hand silkscreened. (Click link to see their work.) The card I designed had a gold metallic ink which made it even more beautiful. The inside verse said," you still light my fire! Happy Anniversary."  Alan said it was a sweet card and was popular with retailers.  I asked for a picture with him and the winning card since I didn't go to the gala.

If you are interested in what the judging is like for the Louies, here's a video you can watch.  The card industry understands the competition it faces with online communications and how cards keep people connected in a different way.  I still feel it's the handwritten message along with the card that shows people you care.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on winning a Louie award! I love going to the Stationery Show in NY, and checking out the display with all the cards in the running is always a highlight of my trip. Big Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going back to exhibit at Surtex next year at booth #453. Please stop by. I'd love to meet you! Your fabric designs are incredible.

    ReplyDelete