Friday, February 28, 2014

Annik Miller's Craftsman Baby Quilt

What a pleasure it was working with Annik on this project! We live in the same Minneapolis neighborhood and met thru the HandmadeMN Etsy team and at The Linden Tree Shop. I was excited she said yes to working together on this project.
Annik Miller

We met early on about creating a baby quilt in a Craftsman style to launch with my Amelia Harper fabric line for Modern Yardage.  Annik knew right away what I envisioned when she shared her first drawings with me showing the strong graphic lines inspired by architectural details like windows and woodwork from Craftsman styled homes. We met again when I got my strike offs from Modern Yardage and chose the scales and decided amounts to order. Wow, I was thrilled when she brought over the final quilt for a photo shoot with Amelia.
Quilt front

Quilt back

She chose to feature all the main prints of the collection on the front using the Butterfly, Lambzie, Flowers, Dragonfly, Stripes and Boxes.  I requested she use the Monarch color way because the warm oranges and earth tones worked well with Amelia's crib and gender neutral theme.

The back of the quilt uses the large and medium scales of the Dragonfly print which is unique to Modern Yardage. Annik used Robert Kaufman's Kona Solid Parchment for the sashing, pulling all my prints together to create a soft and sophisticated quilt.  The gentle wavy line quilting pattern, similar to a butterfly in flight, were sewn using the free-motion quilting technique on a home sewing machine.  Occasional pairs of leaves are in harmony with my Flower print. It's just a beautiful interpretation by Annik.  The finishing touch is the binding, small Boxes in Turquoise cut on the bias, which provides a lovely contrast to the many oranges in the quilt.

Stitching detail with leaf shapes and flowing line work
I feel this fits my vision for modern Craftsman style quilt design. Annik plans to offer the pattern some time in the future.  I hope to collaborate with her again! You can get to know Annik thru her blog here and her Etsy shop, Mini Mushrooms  here.  


Back stitching detail
Amelia checks out Annik's work!
Front side
Back side

1 comment: