Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Taliesin Courtyard Illustration

I had another great opportunity to work with the Taliesin Foundation in Spring Green, Wisconsin on a new art piece. The Bookstore Manager asked me to create an illustration of the Taliesin Courtyard for the Gift Shop. So last June, my husband and I signed up for a tour and I took several photos at different spots to get inspiration for the art.

It was a mid June day, so not a lot of flowers were in bloom.It was in between the Spring and summer stock. I do have a general knowledge of midwest perennials, so I could tell by the leaves what would be blooming later in summer. Later on when I started the illustration, I added several I saw in other photos online, including the purple Clematis on the trellis.



 I think Frank Lloyd Wright's trellis design are distinctive of his style and worth featuring in the art.

 The sculptures placed around the courtyard were also on my list to include.



 This was the Courtyard view from his bedroom window. I liked the reflecting pool a lot.
 I loved the graceful line work in this sculpture near the end of our tour.

Here's what my pencil drawing looked like before I scanned it into the computer. 

The final illustration! It will be sold at the Taliesin Bookstore as both prints and cards. I will be selling fine art versions in my Etsy Shop and donating 25% of the proceeds to Taliesin Preservation for continuing upkeep of this historic Frank Lloyd Wright space.


No comments:

Post a Comment