Friday, October 24, 2014

Great River Road Wrap Up


This is the best looking catfish I've ever seen along the Mississippi. It's home is at Abode Gallery in Stockholm, Wisconsin. They are more than a gallery and to appreciate what they do, check out their website here.  I eagerly dropped off my card catalog with them and am excited to say they have ordered my cards! I am grateful to be in such a wonderful venue.  Here's a few more pics of the gallery.  I did not get to spend enough time in Stockholm and need to go back.


The General Store next to Abode was stocked with great Wisconsin made foods and  gift item. Love the sign.
Onward south to Pepin and the Villa Bellezza Winery. More info here. It's right on why 35 so you can't miss this Italian architecture stunner.  I went into the wine tasting room and sampled 3 different wines expertly described by the hostess. There was an event going on so the other buildings weren't open to explore, but it was a beautiful day to enjoy viewing the vineyard.  


I stopped for lunch at Nelson Cheese Factory and found that delightful as well. It's also right on the Great River Road, highway 35, so you can't miss it. Info here.  It's a market, lunch place, wine room, ice cream shop and has indoor and outdoor seating. It was sunny and near 70 so outside dining was perfect. Again, you must stop here! The food and atmosphere are terrific.




It was after 2:00 when I left and I still had a couple more stops to make. I crossed back over the Mississippi River to get to Winona, Minnesota to stop at the Minnesota Marine Art Museum, recommended by my good friend, Marlene. It is located right along the Mississippi in a beautiful building and held marine art collections. The Hudson River School paintings were spectacular. I'd only read about them in Art History classes. I also got to view the new Ansel Adams Exhibit with his stunning black and white photography.  More info here.

Winona was beautiful with its rolling hills of color. I continued traveling south to Prairie Du Chien, Wisconsin and cut over to the Iowa side at McGregor and down towards Guttenberg where I ran out of daylight before making it to my parent's home. Nature really put on a show this Fall and I'm glad I got to witness it and visit some great towns and shops along the way.  

Plan your own Great River Road trip here.

No comments:

Post a Comment